Friday, March 9, 2012

Walked Off To Look For America - A trip to end all trips

So I've had this dream for a few years now. In fact, I hit on Plan A of the dream in May 2000 on the way home from my friend Stephen Phayre's wedding in Temecula, California, United States of America.

I should, and soon, try and get to see some of these US music cities that I've heard so many people speak of - Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Chicago. I had already seen San Francisco on that trip so although it would be lovely to go there again, it didn't necessarily need to be factored into this music cities tour. Likewise, New York wasn't naturally on the list so I figured I'd get there but not on this trek.

This Monday marks the culmination of 12 years of dreaming and about 3 months of planning. The dream has developed so much that the trip will take in none of the cities mentioned above (other than a 2 hour change of buses in Nashville). The Music Cities tour will happen but not this time. This one is instead inspired by Paul Simon's classic song, "America".

For some reason, I am terribly excited. I am travelling from Boston to Vancouver via Nashville on Greyhound buses. As a twentysomething I never went backpacking so now that I own a house and am suffering the onset of horrible arthritic symptoms, I've decided that now is my opportunity - possibly my last opportunity - to go and get lost for a couple of weeks.

I'm not at all sure what the point of it all is but I'm not at all sure what the point of anything is at the moment so if I find some - any - clues to the second question, well that might answer the first question. We'll see.

I'm not being presumptious but just in case it interests anyone, and to document what's going on, and because I'll, at one point or another, have three days on a bus, I'll document the ongoing trip. It's all holiday - no gigs - but a few people will informally hear me play the piano and I'm looking forward to doing a radio interview in Poughkeepsie, NY with Scott Raymonde, a DJ who gave me praise, feedback and airplay when The Shape Of Things came out last year. The great conundrum at the moment is when Poughkeepsie is going to happen - but it will at some stage over the first week.

On the May 2000 trip, in San Francisco, I budgeted 2 hours to get from the city centre to the Golden Gate Bridge, walk across it, get back to the city centre and get back to the burbs for dinner. I will not offend other Irish males by suggesting this is an Irish male generalisation. This is pecularily Josh's problem. I have not the slightest clue how far away things are in America - this has already been cause of much amusement amongst my family whilst planning this trip. New York to Toronto is not the same as Dublin to Galway. If you did not know that already, let me reassure you.

Enough for now - see you in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment